1. What is Books2All?
Books2All is a non-profit organisation founded in June 2020, which aims to reduce the rising levels of educational inequality in the UK through a modern, efficient method of connecting book donors to schools in need.
2. Why is Books2All operating?
It is simply astonishing that roughly 1 in 8 schools in England, Wales and Northern Ireland do not have a library. This disparity is even more pronounced at schools with a high proportion of disadvantaged students. We believe that every student, no matter their background, should have the opportunity to access resources to further their education. By connecting local book donors to schools in need, through a modern and easy-to-use app, we aim to provide resources to children who do not have them; improving educational performance and literacy rates nationwide.
3. Is Books2All a charity?
Books2All is registered as a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO) in the United Kingdom. Charity number: 1191703
1. How do I donate my books?
Sign up to the app through the donor link. Then simply insert your email, location and the distance you are willing to travel to donate the book. After this, you will be asked to scan the barcode or insert the ISBN number. If a school requests your within your preference area, you will be sent an email notification.
2. How do I select the maximum distance I want to travel to donate my books?
Click on MORE -> SETTINGS, and then use the slider to select the furthest distance you would like to travel is. If you are happy to post your books and cover the postage cost you may want to set a bigger distance.
3. Can I select which school receives my books?
No. We aim to ensure an efficient donation process where schools looking for the books you donate match with you and request them. This method allows schools to receive the donations they want and prevents them from receiving books they do not need.
4. Can I donate directly to schools without going through the Books2All app?
Yes, of course, but this process is not always efficient. Often, schools are inundated with donations that they do not want, which can overwhelm them if they do not have the resources to store them. Our app allows schools to choose the books they require by matching them with relevant donors. We hope this modern approach will improve the donation process.
5. Do I have to manually fill in all the book details myself for each book?
No, simply scan the barcode or insert the 13 digit ISBN. Easy peasy!
6. How do I know my books are useful?
If a school selects your book it means your book is in demand and will be used.
7. How soon should I drop off the book(s) once I’ve been matched to a school?
We advise that you drop off the book as soon as you can as the selection process means the school is looking for your book. Ideally, please try to drop off your book within two weeks of matching with a school.
8. What shall I do if I can no longer donate to a school that has matched with me?
Get in touch with the school through the email address provided in the Current Matches section and remove your books from our system by finding them in the Uploaded Books section.
9. Does the quality of the book matter?
The book should be of good quality. A few scratches or scuffs are not a problem but you should not register the book for donation if:
- Pages are missing or have fallen out.
- There is graffiti or writing.
- The spine is damaged and it is unlikely the book will stay together for long.
10. Can I donate university textbooks?
No, our app is only working with donations to primary and secondary schools. We aim to expand to universities, libraries and foster homes in the future.
11. Am I donating to individuals or schools?
You are donating to the schools.
12. What will the schools do with the books I donate?
They will store the books in a library, classroom or other storage to give to lend to children who request them. This way many children will benefit from your donation.
13. Is there any way I can support Books2All even if I don’t have any books to donate?
Yes! You can join our team as a volunteer or help our mission through a financial donation. You will find details on our website.
1. How can my school start receiving donations?
Sign up on the app through the schools’ link. Here, simply type your schools name in the school finder and confirm the contact information. The email will be verified to ensure school status. Once completed, you will see books available to the school in the local area. You can filter the list by age group (Keystage). Then simply select the books you are searching for.
2. Can I select which books are donated?
Yes. Schools can select the books that will most benefit by choosing from those available in their local area.
3. Can my school donate books?
No. We are launching the app as an individual-to-school book donation service. We hope to offer school-school donations in the future.
4. Can any school use this service?
Technically, any school can use this service but our mission is to help those schools with a high number of disadvantaged students. We ask that only schools with a have a high number of students eligible for pupil premium or free school meals to use this app.
5. Can I request certain books to be donated?
Only the books shown under Available Books are being donated in your local area. We cannot arrange donations of books besides those provided in the list.
1. How do I create an account?
When you open the app, click on either ‘Sign up as a donor’ or ‘Sign up as a school’.
4. How do I change my account details?
Go to the settings page on the MORE menu and change your settings from there.
5. Can I create multiple accounts for the same school?
Yes, staff from the same school can register their onw accounts by signing up with their email address.